Living in comfort in the summer can be taken for granted, particularly until you experience a taste of discomfort with an air conditioner breakdown. It can hit at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and unexpectedly feel how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so warm wrapped in your covers. Think you’re feeling this uneasiness? It might be an occasion for an air conditioner replacement.
Usually, it isn’t the thermostat’s mistake; the settings can be operating correctly, but it still says that the temperature is over 80 degrees. It’s most often caused by an old or faulty air conditioner that demands a call to the experts to find out what’s wrong. There are many reasons why air conditioners break down, especially considering the weather in Hamilton. Here are a couple of things that you can look for before you call Carefree Heating and Cooling, LLC if you think your air conditioner has quit working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your external air conditioning system that helps flow the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you inspect your system and find that the fan isn’t working, it means that the heat transfer isn’t transpiring, causing the warm air to stay in your home. This problem can also trigger overheating of the compressor and other possible internal damage to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most likely issues that Carefree Heating and Cooling, LLC sees. These filthy filters in your air conditioner decrease appropriate airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season hits. Unclean air filters can also reduce the efficiency in your home and boost your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always check for an obstacle or jam in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can initiate your air conditioner to lose efficiency and slow down.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t concealed by furniture or other home items, as well.
- Outside obstructions: Correct air flow could be also slowed down from exterior blockages close to your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is altered, it can change it’s cooling capabilities. Make sure that your system is unrestricted by obstacles and is cleaned routinely to reduce the likelihood of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve gone through these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t running, here are a list of questions and tests that you should look into and answer to get your system up and working again. (Only move on to the next question if the system doesn’t switch on after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature fixed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL setting?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box intact or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things change your system procedure, call Carefree Heating and Cooling, LLC at 513-268-5164.
Don’t let an air conditioner malfunction or replacement keep you restless at night. If you follow these steps and keep your system under regular maintenance, you should have you air conditioner operating again in no time. Our team at Carefree Heating and Cooling, LLC in Hamilton is always here to help – give us a call at 513-268-5164.