Summer weather in Hamilton can be rough. But you don’t have to choose between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility expenses. We’ve compiled some tips to help you out.
The best thing you can do to stay comfortable and sustain energy efficiency is by tending to your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® says keeping your system running at its best and efficiently, and Carefree Heating and Cooling, LLC is able to assist. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll do the following tasks recommended by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to ensure safe operation of your system and the chance of a longer life for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as required. Dirty coils require your system to run harder to do its job.
- Check system controls to make sure of proper and safe operation.
- Check refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to assure accurate system airflow.
Another key to remaining cool is consistently checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter can increase energy expenses and damage your equipment, leading to untimely failure. Our Carefree Heating and Cooling, LLC experts will look at these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations to arrange your own schedule to swap them out.
Here are a few other tips to keep your home comfy and energy-efficient:
- Inspect thermostat settings to make sure your air conditioner keeps you comfy when you are home and saves energy while you are not around.
- If it is cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the night air cool your house for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to trap the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Use fans to your advantage. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a tad higher than you routinely would without feeling any changes in your comfort level.
- Another type of fan people often forget about when they’re working to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Be sure to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to get rid of the heat and humidity from your house.
- Try not to leave lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven add heat into your home, but even normal activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can up the heat in your home.
If you’d like extra ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Carefree Heating and Cooling, LLC at call at 513-268-5164 or request an appointment with us online.