Whether you like winter or prefer the warmer months in Hamilton, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Check weather stripping – As the years go on, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Install a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a powerful tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The professionals at Carefree Heating and Cooling, LLC can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system operate more efficiently. More efficient energy use also supports the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Carefree Heating and Cooling, LLC in Hamilton a call to get started. Contact our team at 513-268-5164 or book an appointment with us online.